Acumatica is finally revealing their new field services solution in a webinar that is open to field services leaders and anyone that’s interested in learning about Acumatica for Field Services. The purpose of this webinar is to inform both potential and current customers of the maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) features available, which include:
One of the basic features of the ProMRO module available for Microsoft Dynamics AX is the Project Quick Create. The Project Quick Create feature makes it easy for users to get started with projects in only a few clicks of the mouse. With this feature, users can create projects, contracts, work orders and invoices by only clicking a single button.
The Project Quick Create is based on a pre-configured template tailored for the needs of organizations in the Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul industry. To get started, users have to enter the correct information of the task they want to accomplish on the ProMRO module.
Creating a Project in ProMRO
Follow these steps to get started with Project Quick Create:
- To create a new project, navigate to the ProMRO area and select Project Details. The Project Details window will be displayed.
- Navigate to the top menu of the Project details and under Quick Functions, click the New Project A new project pre-filled with name of business relation, description and customer PO will be created.
Next, set the customer due date on the date selection display pop up and click OK.
- The next step is to add the value on the Equipment ID. Click the drop down arrow to select the ID.
- You can also add the details of the customer to Equipment. Enter the details of the customer on the pop up dialog box after setting the Equipment ID. Make sure you check the Prompt for Engineering Value box.
When done, click OK to exit the dialog box.
- If you checked the Prompt for Engineering Value box, the Engineering Value screen will appear. On the screen, you can set the engineering test values for the equipment. Generally, you would have to work with another system or a spreadsheet to coordinate the test values of the equipment. The reference will be attached directly to the invoice, contract and quote throughout the project, allowing you to refer to it at any time without the need to look at a spreadsheet for additional assistance.
- Close the screen after setting all the Engineering values.
The next step is to set the values for the Estimate Center, Work Center and Person Responsible for the equipment.
- When done, click the Services tab on the bottom half of the Project MRO screen. To fill the values in the Service ID fields, enter the service or choose an available service from the drop down arrow. The only services you can choose are those already available at the Estimate center. However, you can use generic service names so that you can use them in other projects.
- Select the Service Profiles you want added to the project. The Service Profiles will be added with their existing line values. You can go through the values and customize them for your project. To edit a value, simply click on its column and enter the new value.
- After editing the Service Profile details to meet your requirements, click OK. A new project with the details you provided will have been created. Through the ProMRO Quick Create Process, the work order is created at the same time.
Your new project will be available on the Project Screen. You can see the details of the project by clicking on it. On the General tab, you can view the project contract and estimate project. Keep in mind that the project contract is automatically created with all the information you need by the ProMRO module when you create a Quick Project a project.
To view more details of the project, navigate through the Status, Address, Other and Dimension tabs. Click the close button to exit the screen.
You can also view the details of the Estimate project by clicking through the Overview, General, Status, Setup, Address, Dimension and ProMRO tabs. The ProMRO tab shows how all values are reference able from a single screen, including the equipment, service profile and quote. On the Equipment ID, you can drill down to specifics of the equipment, for example check whether there are customer specific details that you may have entered when creating the project.
Though Microsoft Dynamics AX has been designed specifically for manufacturing and Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) companies, advanced MRO softwaref functionality is sometimes needed to better support industry-specific operations. One of these solutions is the Work Order Quote Quick Create included in the ProMRO module, formerly referred to as Extended Project Manager (EPM). Built on top of Dynamics AX’s platform, the Work Order Quote Quick Create utilizes the technology already familiar to your staff, allowing them to develop work orders for small and large projects easily and quickly.
Improve Operational Performance with Project-Based Functionality
Managing complex work order data can be difficult, especially in a large MRO organization. To help MROs improve data accuracy, we came up with a simple yet ingenious MRO software solution that communicates with Dynamics AX in real time, facilitating accurate data flows throughout organizations. The Work Order Quote Quick Create allows MROs to:
- Eliminate errors – Fully integrated with Dynamics AX, the Work Order Quote Quick Create ensures data accuracy by requiring users to fill in detailed information about projects, including project IDs, specifications, quotes, estimates, and even customer information. This will prevent users from creating projects that lack the information needed to obtain the desired outcomes. Then, the application will automatically transfer data from the top floor to the shop floor, eliminating the errors usually found in manual input systems. By using a special form to add detailed, accurate information to each project, you will benefit from improved inventory management, precise maintenance/repair schedules that will result in less downtime and more productivity, extensive data analysis, and comprehensive reporting capabilities, which will increase the overall efficiency.
- Create new projects easily – The Work Order Quote Quick Create enables users to develop new projects by copying and pasting service profiles. This feature is extremely useful when creating large projects, which are either identical or similar to previous jobs. In addition, you can sort service profiles by service code and equipment type, which will allow you to streamline the process of finding certain work orders, projects, tasks, etc.
- Save time – Extending the functionality of Microsoft Dynamics AX, this MRO software solution automatically updates estimates, quotes, and timelines when new project data is entered. Since all the elements of a project are tightly linked and interrelated with each other, any authorized modification will affect the other components. For instance, when a project is modified, the system will automatically update work orders, recalculating costs, quotes, and invoices. This will help eliminate manual data entries later on, which not only saves time but also ensures greater data accuracy. With the Work Order Quote Quick Create, users can include new data or update existing information relating to equipment, parts, teams, budgets, work orders, etc.
- Increase productivity – Depending on your internal maintenance, repair, and overhaul operations, you can use the Work Order Quote to associate projects with specific work orders, equipment, parts, and contracts. Since your employees will be able to access all the data they need to do their jobs proficiently through a single application, they’ll be more productive than before.
Additional features include Reporting, which can be used to capture, edit, and handle reports relating to labor, time frames, estimates, costs, etc.; Quick Invoice, which allows users to create invoices “on the fly”, check payment details, outstanding balance, etc.; and Quick Credit, which provides advanced credit control functionality.
Delivering a multitude of capabilities at your fingertips, the Work Order Quote Quick Create integrated with Dynamics AX allows you to automate common or repetitive tasks and manage a wide variety of projects with just a few clicks.
Clients First has developed and implemented the ProMRO module for Dynamics AX. The module is specifically tailored for Manufacturing, Repair and Overhaul industry and includes project phases that can be pre-defined and then built on the fly with each newly quoted job.
The benefits of the ProMRO module include improved efficiency, cost savings, standardization and predictability across multiple departments. The ProMRO module makes your MRO business run leaner and be more competitive.
One of the capabilities of the ProMRO module is the ability to create Service Profiles.
Service Profiles eliminate pressure and guesswork from the project administrator as they contain all the details about the service in a ready-to-use template. This helps to ensure consistency across all projects.
How to Create a Service Profile
To create a Service Profile in Dynamics AX, navigate to the Common Forms screen and click SVC Profile Details. The Service Profile form will be displayed.
On the top half of the Service Profile screen, you will see the list of forms on your instance of Dynamics AX under the Overview tab. The Overview tab provides a quick summary of a profile’s elements including the service ID, estimate center, service code, description, extended description, status, manufacturer, etc.
The bottom half of the screen allows you to view the Service Profiles and filter on five options, i.e. All, Free, Hour, Expense and Item. Here is an overview of what the options provide:
- All – Shows all available Service Profile forms on your Dynamics AX instance
- Fee – Allows you to make changes to prices for quoting purposes
- Hour- Allows you to make changes for time spent on equipment
- Expense – Allows you to change time expenses
- Item – Allows calculation of cost and sale prices of items
Clicking on an entry on the Service Profile form makes it editable. You can make any price or product changes by selecting the entry you wish to edit to make it editable, and entering the new value you prefer.
Creating Service Profiles Based on Templates
The ProMRO module allows you to copy an existing Service Profile and make a new one based on it. Follow the steps below to create a new select Service Profile based on an existing one:
- i) Select the Service Profile you want to use as a template from the list of forms
- ii) Navigate to the left of the ProMRO module and select the Copy button
iii) Select Copy and Create New Profile from the side slide display
- iv) A new Service Profile form that is based on the one you had initially selected will be created and listed on the form list
Using the Recalculate Function for Service Profiles
Sometimes, you may need to recalculate the values in your Service Profile forms after editing an existing form or creating a new one based on an existing template. To get the required values for your new Service Profile form, make all the value changes you want.
When finished, click the Function button on the left of the ProMRO module and select SVC Profile Recalculation option from the slide display. A pop up box showing the identification details of the Service Profile whose values you wish to recalculate will be displayed. Click the OK button to start recalculation.
You can also make changes on the quote line items of the Service Profile form you are working on. To do this, you will be working on the tabs under the TypeFilter, which is at the bottom half of the screen. Select the Quote tab and click the Tools icon on the left of the module. The Line No. and Quote Description area will be displayed. Edit the quote description and click the Save icon on the main menu of the Service Profile forms page. Your new description will be applied to the Service Profile you were editing.
You can also change the status of the Service Profile to either Under Development, Not Certified, Awaiting Approval, Obsolete or Certified. To change the status, select the Service Profile you are editing, click the Status button on the left of the module and select the appropriate status from the slide display box.
The ProMRO module was especially developed to offer MRO companies the functionality they needed to manage industry-specific operations more efficiently. Minimizing paper-based administration and standardizing various processes, the module enables MROs to handle a variety of business processes, including quoting jobs, pre-defining project phases, and tracking equipment along with maintenance and repair tasks to extend the life cycle of operational equipment at minimal costs, prevent disruptions, and improve overall productivity. Besides advanced project, maintenance, and repair functionality, the module makes available a custom Equipment Table, which facilitates asset tracking within Dynamics AX and any other application interconnected.
MRO Software: Equipment Table Functionality
Specifically designed to allow MROs to record detailed, real-time information on equipment and parts, and access equipment history along with warranty, repair, and maintenance data, the Equipment Table can be used to:
- Track equipment across different projects – One of the most valuable pieces of MRO software developed so far, the Equipment Table tracks materials, inventory, and equipment automatically, creating a comprehensive history for each piece of equipment you have used in your projects. By accessing the Equipment Table and highlighting a machine or part, you can get project, quote, repair, and allocation details relating to that piece of equipment. You can also use the Equipment Table to check the current status of a project, customer specifications, and equipment condition, which may range from “approved” and “shop floor” to “rented-out” and “lost” statuses. From the Equipment Table, you can also access the main table of each project to get in-depth details about different pieces of equipment and tasks.
- Track warranties of equipment and parts – Not only the Equipment Table provides information about the original warranty of different pieces of equipment; it also indicates the equipment that needs to be sent off for repair or replaced before warranty expires. Additionally, by simply accessing the Equipment Table, technicians can get information about different pieces of equipment that cannot be repaired on warranty or in house and, therefore, must be replaced by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
- Track equipment location – The Equipment Table also allows users to identify the physical location of different pieces of equipment. This means that you can communicate to your clients exactly when and where their equipment has been allocated and even how much it will cost to deliver it to them. As you can find out the exact location of machines and parts without making phone calls or leaving your office, the Equipment Table can save you a lot of time and money.
Maintaining continuous operations in complex environments poses a major challenge for most MRO companies. Fortunately, the Equipment Table adds a new dimension to Dynamics AX, giving MRO companies a true 360-degree view of their equipment.
With this MRO software solution by your side, you’ll benefit from complete maintenance, repair, and overhaul support to achieve your equipment and productivity goals. Bringing about greater predictability, optimizing resource utilization, and helping you keep your own equipment along with your customers’ machines properly maintained and running smoothly, the Equipment Table is one “piece of the puzzle” you need to plan everything down to the smallest detail and avoid costly breakdowns.
In conclusion, the Equipment Table is a useful piece of MRO software that allows you to:
- record and access detailed information relating to your equipment and services;
- track equipment by physical location and status;
- group pieces of equipment based on specific criteria;
- associate equipment with projects and capacity planning;
- keep detailed history, including warranty, quote, maintenance, and repair information;
- view maintenance and repair reports whenever you need.
Airlines are taking major steps forward in controlling how maintenance information is provided and tracked. Recent technological advancements in MRO software has led many airlines to invest in implementation.
Airlines are looking for advanced IT solutions for maintenance planning, e-enabled aircraft, e-signatures and document management. As more airlines demand for specialist technology software, enterprise resource planning (ERP) vendors are improving their solutions and making them more industry specific.
New and updated IT solutions are available in the market, each designed to help airlines, MROs and operators use and manage their resources better. The solutions help to lower costs, increase efficiency, ensure regulatory compliance and provide more operations-friendly scheduling of maintenance and repairs. The overall goal is to provide a better user experience and improve revenues.
Airlines usually choose priorities based on their maintenance strategy, operations, fleet and existing IT capability. According to SITA, most airlines investing in business intelligence (BI) place engineering and maintenance as their highest priority. However, BI is just one of the areas where airlines have the potential to cut costs with IT.
Benefits of Aviation ERP and MRO Systems
For most airlines, the main justification for a MRO ERP system is the need for a system with better capabilities. For instance, an airline planning to undertake more heavy maintenance within its own facilities would need a system that goes beyond the capabilities of the existing MRO. The new system should not only be able to forecast in the same way as the existing system, but also work within more constraints and with greater resources.
Some of the benefits of implementing a MRO ERP system include:
Dynamics Aircraft/Component Configuration Management
ERP can facilitate the creation of various configuration structures depending on the customer’s requirements. With a flexible ERP system, the records management team can define variation in customer configuration structures. Some ERPs also facilitate the management of customer specific alternate part lists.
Availability of Solution on Tablets
One of the key success factors to reducing revenue leakage is capturing costs related data during cycle/shop floor. Some MRO ERP systems facilitate time recording and consumption reporting using tablets at the place of execution. This type of data collection simplifies work management and reduces data consumption costs.
Dynamics Task Card Management
MRO systems enable users to maintain operator specific task cards. With this feature, an airline is sure of adhering to maintenance compliance procedures as required on the operator’s procedural manual. Moreover, the systems also facilitate authorizing of generic repair/task procedures by MRO service providers.
For any MRO service provider, penalties due to violation of TAT are a great concern. A good MRO should effectively track all wait times and facilitate service providers to take corrective actions. Through complex algorithms, the system can eliminate all wait times attributed to a customer. Some systems have various alert mechanisms for preempting TAT violations.
Increased Productivity through Smart Cards and Bar Codes
Most operational reports are bar coded, thereby improving an airline’s workflow and reducing the need to type data in the system. This feature makes MROs user friendly. The use of smart cards for some functions also reduces the manual work or need for maintaining paper documents.
Support to Pooled Inventory & Part Exchange Concepts
Among the key requirements of MRO ERP operations are part exchanges. An effective part exchange process should enable service providers meet the TAT deadlines they promise customers. A suitable MRO system should track ownership switches in inventory and on shop floor. Moreover, the system should support part exchanges for meeting promised TAT reports.
PMA Parts Management
Most airline operators are opting for PMA parts to cut on costs. However, some airlines still do not accept use of PMA parts on their fleet. MRO providers have to maintain stock of OEM as well as PMA parts. An MRO solution can facilitate management of PMA parts by allowing users to define effective controls. Depending on the contractual terms with the operator, the system will either prevent the use of PMA parts or route the requests for further approval.
Having a good MRO ERP system is essential to ensure the accuracy and quality of financial, accounting, parts and other operational controls.